Technology is ruling the world, and it is not at all surprising that it is soon going to take over farming too. In an initiative to promote farming despite water scarcity, Agro-Technical Firm of Crop One Holdings from massachusetts with Emirates Flight Catering will be building World’s largest vertical farm in Dubai As a part of their joint venture.
Are you asking how this will benefit passengers? Although you are right in asking this question, this initiative will not only encourage farming but will also ensure healthy food during the journey.
While Crop One Holdings will work on $40 million facility On a 130,000 square foot piece of land, Emirates Flight Catering will supply estimated 225,000 meals From Dubai International Airport on daily basis.
Read suggestions: Dubai Summer Surprise: Be a part of UAE’s hottest celebration before it ends
“This move secures our own supply chain of high quality and locally sourced fresh vegetables, while significantly reducing our environmental footprint,” says Mr. Saeed Mohammed, CEO of Emirates Flight Catering.
Other facts about vertical farms in Dubai
- The UAE imports about 85 percent of its food items. Therefore, the country needs a small percentage of land to implement this technology.
- This concept of hyperproductive vertical farming will be built indoors and closer to consumers.
- This is going to be a “season-less” farming process, in which leafy vegetables will continue to be produced all 365 days of the year.
- Nutrient solutions will be used instead of natural soil to feed the plants.
- Humidity and temperature will be tightly controlled in the modular containers to generate maximum yield.
- LED bright lights will be used through renewable energy sources as an alternative to sunlight to reduce carbon footprint.
However, preparations are on to start construction from November. High on technology and low on water The farming technology of the world’s largest vertical farm in Dubai will use 99% less water than outdoor farms, which is a huge thing.
Read suggestions: Exclusive Dubai Pass: Travelers can now enjoy cash-free access to major attractions and tours!
Upon completion, it vertical farms in dubai Up to 6,000 pounds of green leafy vegetables are expected to be produced on a daily basis. You read it right. And this is exactly the product you will be served in airport lounges as well as within flights by the end of 2019.
too excited? Although one never has reasons to plan a trip to Dubai, the Vertical Farm is definitely an attraction that no one should miss. What did you think about it? Express your opinion in the comments below!