Winter is upon us, bringing with it the inevitable drop in temperature, the icy wind, and the constant feeling of being cold. During this time, our bodies crave warm, comforting meals to keep us going through the day. What better way to satisfy this yearning than with a steaming hot bowl of hearty chicken stew? Not only does it provide comfort, but it also packs a punch regarding health benefits. Read on to learn more about this winter staple.
Health Benefits of Chicken Stew
Protein: Chicken, the star ingredient of the stew, is loaded with protein, the building block of muscle tissue, bones, and skin. A single serving of chicken stew can provide up to 40% of a person’s daily protein requirement.
Vitamins and minerals: Chicken is rich in vital vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, vitamin D, and minerals like iron, phosphorus, and zinc, responsible for supporting the immune system, promoting healthy bones, and aiding in the production of red blood cells, respectively.
Fiber: The combination of vegetables in the chicken stew provides ample fiber, essential for good digestion, and reducing the risk of heart disease.
Anti-inflammatory properties: Garlic, ginger, and turmeric, commonly used spices in chicken stews, possess natural anti-inflammatory properties. These spices have been found to improve heart health, reduce joint pain, and benefit brain function.
Low calorie: Chicken stew is a low-calorie meal that is packed with nutrients, making it an excellent choice for people looking to lose weight, maintain a healthy lifestyle, or watch their calorie intake.
Warm up this Winter with Hearty Chicken Stew Recipe
Now, for the recipe of this winter comfort food.
• 1kg skinless chicken thighs
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 carrot diced
• 2 celery stalks diced
• 2 large onions diced
• 2 garlic cloves minces
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1) In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs in batches and cook them for 3-4 minutes until brown.
2) Remove chicken thighs and add onions, celery, and carrots to the same pot; reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
3) Add minced garlic and sitr for 30 seconds, until it becomes fragrant.
4) Add tomato paste, flour, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and stir for two minutes until it combines beautifully.
5) Add chicken broth, return chicken thighs, and bring it to a boil.
6) Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is well cooked.
7) Add parsley and stir until it is well combined.
Serve with steaming hot rice, mashed potatoes or crusty bread.
1) Can I use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs?
Yes, chicken breasts can be used instead of thighs, but it is known to get dried up quickly, so make sure to reduce the cooking time accordingly.
2) Can I freeze the chicken stew?
Absolutely. The chicken stew freezes well and it can keep up to 3 months in the freezer, making it a great option for meal prep.
3) Can I use other vegetables?
Yes, as a versatile dish, you can add other vegetables such as mushrooms, bell peppers, potatoes, and green beans to your chicken stew for extra nutrition and flavor.
4) What wine goes well with chicken stew?
A glass of red wine, such as Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon, pairs well with chicken stew.
Winter should never be a barrier to enjoying delicious and healthy food. A warm bowl of hearty chicken stew not only provides comfort but also has a nutrient-packed profile that provides numerous health benefits, making it a perfect meal for everyone. Try out the recipe and experiment with other vegetables to suit your preferences. Don’t forget to enjoy a glass of red with this flavorful meal. Stay warm and healthy this winter with your delicious bowl of chicken stew!