When you travel, it is more common for you to travel with others: with your family, your friends, your boyfriend or your girl, your cat… Solo travelers are rarer and we must say that we respect them a little more. Because it can be freakish to embark in a country that you do not know armed only with your backpack. That’s why there are things we all tend to do when traveling alone with ourselves.
1. Walk a lot, a lot and a lot more
It’s like that, when you travel alone you work your calves more. It’s easier to be a little lazy to move when you’re in a group than alone.
2. Bet on couch surfing
Overall, the good news when you travel solo is that life will cost you less. We don’t give a damn about luxury, we live in hostels with dormitories for 17 people, we squat on people’s sofas, in short, we’re in roots mode.
3. Send postcards to all our friends who didn’t travel with us
Far from your body but not far from your heart. Yeah, you’re really connected 24 hours a day on Whatsapp to beg them to give you news (well yeah because postcards are very nice but since you’re out and about, you know very well that nobody will never answer you and that’s very frustrating).
4. Rubbing a little more with the locals
Be careful, you should not rub yourself concretely because it would be super weird. We’re just talking about learning to loosen your tongue to meet more people than you would have when traveling with someone.
5. Take the time to sit down and look at the horizon while reflecting on life, like a taste of infinity in the power of the eternal
Now is the time to take stock of your life. For at least like 4 minutes.
6. Sometimes talk to yourself anyway
It’s now or never to become your own best friend.
7. Take more culinary risks by trying dishes you didn’t know
No one will be there to judge you if you throw up on yourself and get food poisoning, YAY.
8. Telling yourself that anyway…. we should have left with someone
Even if you fight this thought, sometimes it comes to the surface.
9. Pretend to be happier than if we were together
And for that, nothing beats posting photos on Instagram that show you in beautiful landscapes. Even if your heart is crying inside, you will give the impression of being a hyper-accomplished person.
10. Read about 17 books a week
You may have to think about investing in an e-book.
11. Do all the stuff you can ever do when you’re not alone
After that, it really depends on everyone and the people you are used to traveling with, but basically, it’s easier to dress up to get up at 5 a.m. and watch the sunrise when you’re all alone. Note, I didn’t say it was better. I just said it was easier.
12. Learn the basics of the language very quickly
You’re going to need it to make friends there. So that’s your number one priority.
13. Clinging to the neighbor’s arm when there’s turbulence in the plane
Indispensable to start the process of the first meetings. FRIENDSHIP PASSION.
14. Asking strangers to take pictures of us in front of monuments
It’s not too glorious in terms of self-esteem but it’s still better than investing in a selfie stick.
15. Become best friends with people you wouldn’t necessarily talk to in France
The great thing about traveling is that you meet people and make friends with people you wouldn’t naturally go to in a more familiar environment. This is what constitutes the main interest of travel. It’s fucking beautiful. Meetings. The human experience. Cough coughed.
16. Make a journal
Well yes because when you travel with someone, it’s more difficult to arrange your time to write. Solo you have time for everything and especially for you. This is an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the Bic pen.
Traveling alone ultimately means doing what you want when you want… Until you cry because you feel a little lonely. Come on, be brave, you’ll get there.