Chicken is one of the most versatile and healthy meats available. It’s low in fat, high in protein, and makes for a healthy meal anytime. If you’re looking for a convenient way to prepare chicken, then crock pot chicken thighs should be at the top of your list. Slow cooking chicken thighs in a crockpot is easy, convenient, and an excellent way to cook flavorful chicken that will fall off the bone. This guide will take you through the steps of perfectly cooked crock pot chicken thighs.
Health Benefits of Chicken Thighs
Chicken is one of the healthiest types of meat that you can eat. Here are some of the health benefits of chicken thighs:
1. High in Protein – Chicken thigh is an excellent source of protein. It contains all the essential amino acids that your body needs to repair and build muscle.
2. Low Fat – Chicken thighs contain about half the fat of an equivalent-sized piece of beef.
3. Low Calories – Chicken thigh is low in calories compared to other meats. A chicken thigh with skin contains about 200 calories, while a beef steak with the same weight contains around 500 calories.
4. Vitamins – Chicken is a good source of vitamins and minerals. Chicken thighs are an excellent source of vitamin B12, which is essential for healthy blood cells.
5. Boosts Immune System – Chicken broth is rich in minerals and vitamins, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium that help keep your body healthy.
How to Perfectly cook Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
Cooking chicken thighs in a crockpot is one of the most flavorful ways to enjoy chicken because the slow cooking method gives the chicken more time to soak up the flavor of the seasonings and spices.
– 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
– 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
– 2 teaspoons ground cumin
– 2 teaspoons garlic powder
– 2 teaspoons onion powder
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
1. In a small bowl, combine all of the spices and seasonings to make a dry rub.
2. Rub the seasoning mix all over the chicken thighs, then set aside.
3. Heat canola oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Brown both sides of the chicken thighs in the skillet, then remove from heat.
5. Transfer chicken thighs to the crockpot.
6. Cover and cook chicken on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours until chicken is cooked through and tender.
7. Remove the chicken thighs from the crockpot and let rest for a few minutes before serving.
8. Serve hot, garnished with fresh herbs, with a side of steamed veggies and enjoy!
1. Can I use boneless chicken thighs?
Yes, you can use boneless chicken thighs, but make sure to cook them for a shorter time because they cook faster than bone-in chicken.
2. How long does it take to cook chicken thighs in the crockpot?
It takes 4 to 5 hours on low and 2 to 3 hours on high to cook chicken thighs in the crockpot.
3. Can I add veggies to the crockpot?
Yes, you can add veggies to the crockpot. Just add them to the chicken during the last hour of cooking.
4. Can I use other seasonings to season the chicken?
Yes, you can use other seasonings, but make sure to match the seasoning to the type of recipe you want to create.
Crock pot chicken thighs are a classic meat dish that can be made in many ways. They are flavorful, healthy, and incredibly easy to make. Use the tips outlined in this article to cook delicious and perfectly cooked crock pot chicken thighs that your family will love. With the right combination of seasonings and spices, crock pot chicken thighs can be one of the most satisfying and healthy meals you can serve.