Sugar Cookie Perfection: The Ultimate Recipe for Soft and Chewy Cookies
Nothing beats the classic and comforting taste of sugar cookies. They are loved by many and are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a family gathering, a holiday celebration, or just an everyday treat. However, not all sugar cookies are created equal. Some are too hard, while others are too soft. But what if there was a way to achieve the perfect balance of softness and chewiness in a sugar cookie? This article will share with you the ultimate recipe for soft and chewy sugar cookies that will leave you wanting more.
The Ultimate Recipe for Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
– 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 large egg
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
6. Stir in the sour cream until fully mixed in.
7. Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to portion out the dough, then roll each ball in granulated sugar to coat. Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass to about 1/4 inch thickness.
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
10. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Health Benefits of Sugar Cookies
While sugar cookies are often seen as an indulgent treat, they do offer some health benefits. Here are some of the top benefits of consuming sugar cookies in moderation:
1. Mood Booster: Sugar cookies, like other sugary treats, can help improve your mood by increasing the levels of dopamine and serotonin in your brain. These neurotransmitters are responsible for regulating mood and feelings of happiness.
2. Energy Boost: The sugar in sugar cookies can provide a quick burst of energy when you need it most. Just keep in mind that this energy boost is short-lived and can cause a crash later on if you don’t balance it with healthy foods.
3. Source of Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are an essential macronutrient that provides energy for the body. Sugar cookies, being high in carbohydrates, can help fuel your body during physical activity or for normal daily function.
Q: Can I substitute the sour cream with other ingredients?
A: Yes, you can substitute sour cream with an equal amount of plain yogurt or buttermilk.
Q: Why do I need to flatten the cookies with a glass before baking?
A: Flattening the cookies ensures even baking and prevents them from being too puffy in the middle.
Q: Can I freeze the cookie dough?
A: Yes, you can freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months. Simply portion out the dough into balls, roll them in sugar, and place them on a baking sheet. Freeze for at least 1 hour, then transfer the frozen dough balls to a resealable plastic bag and freeze until ready to use.
Q: Can I use margarine instead of butter?
A: While margarine can be used for this recipe, keep in mind that the cookies will not have the same rich buttery flavor.
In conclusion, sugar cookies are the ultimate comfort food that everyone can enjoy. With this recipe, you can achieve the perfect balance of softness and chewiness that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Remember to consume sugar cookies in moderation and enjoy the many health benefits they offer. Happy baking!