Sasha Johnson shooting: four accused expected to plead not guilty | UK news


Four men charged over the shooting of the Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson at a birthday party in south London have indicated not guilty pleas.

Johnson was left in a critical condition in hospital after being shot in the head during a silent disco in the garden of a house on Consort Road in Peckham just before 3am on Sunday 23 May.

On Friday, four men appeared before Judge Mark Lucraft QC at the Old Bailey by video link from Belmarsh jail.

Prince Dixon, 25, of Gravesend, Kent, Troy Reid, 19, of Southwark, Cameron Deriggs, 18, of Lewisham, and Devonte Brown, 18, of Southwark, are all charged with conspiracy to murder.

During the hearing, the defendants spoke only to confirm their identities. Lawyers representing the men indicated they would deny the charge against them, although no formal pleas were entered.

Lucraft set a further case management hearing for 5 November at the Old Bailey.

The judge suggested that a date for a six-week trial would be fixed at the next hearing. He said the court would try to get the earliest possible trial date.

He also indicated the case would be heard either by one of the two most senior Old Bailey judges or by a high court judge.

The defendants were remanded into custody.

Johnson, 27, is a founding member of the Taking the Initiative party and was a prominent figure in the Black Lives Matter movement last summer.

Police have said previously they do not believe she was the intended target of the shooting.



Source link

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!