Lithuania is a place with an ethereal quality, popular for its Baltic sea breeze and endless midsummer days. There is a long list of must-see sites around this European country given that its history is made up of long-term alliances with Poland to the west, Sweden, Russia and ongoing conflicts with the Teutonic Knights. Beaches and medieval woodland sculptures are the highlights of Lithuania’s streets. To compliment its rustic surroundings, the country is full of buildings dating back to the 19th century. With the introduction of such diversity within the borders, it is very important to preserve lithuania travel guide Don’t miss any of these views.
Best time to visit
The summer months, May or September, are perfect for visiting the old towns and cobbles without the crowds. But if you are going for bird watching then the best months are March to April or September to October.
Ideal time to spend
The more time you spend at a place, the more you get to know about it. But ideally, 4 to 5 days in Lithuania would be enough.
Europe Holiday Packages at Daily Hind News
From Paris to the Venice canals and from the Greek islands to the Swiss Alps, explore the most beautiful places to visit in Europe. Book customized packages from expert agents at Daily Hind News. This includes airport transfers, cabs, resort, sightseeing and meals. The best holiday experience guaranteed. book now
Places to Visit in Lithuania
vilnius lithuania travel guide Everywhere because this city has it all. It is a treasure trove of grand Gothic and medieval wonders, dating back to the Rousseau style of Baroque architecture. In the old town, with its cobbled streets, you’ll love seeing the wonderful cafés that line all the plazas, the elevated Gediminas and the medieval 13th-century castle citadel. As far as the new town goes, there is night-time fun with rock clubs, beer bars and the Republic of Uzupis, known as the boho district of Europe. The republic is located just on the edge of the city and is full of graffiti-covered streets and drinking places.
Read suggestions: Tour du Mont Blanc: A complete guide to trek through the magical beauty of Europe
Any respectable travel guide to Lithuania will mention this place. Formed by the amalgamation of Nemunas and Neris, the city is located in mainland central Lithuania and is proudly considered the party capital and an alternative center of the nation. Places like the boulevard of Laisves Aleja and the craft bars adjacent to the center attract large numbers of students throughout the night. But there’s also plenty to offer during the day when it comes to historic red brick buildings. Come here to visit Kaunas Castle and the cobblestone streets of the Old Town, which show how medieval and beautiful go together. But be sure to also visit the exhibitions that are dedicated to MK Ciurlionis, one of Lithuania’s best-loved artists.
Kernave is a UNESCO certified site that is full of history and is much older than any other city in Lithuania. It is considered the first medieval capital of the Grand Duchy and it is believed that in the 13th and 14th centuries, the Golden Age flourished here. Come here to see the archaeological reserves, which are filled with remains and burial sites. There are throne rooms and many more, which also date back to the Late Palaeolithic period.
Read suggestions: 10 Best Monaco Travel Tips for a Effortless Trip in the Enchanting European Land
things to do
1. Trakai Castle: Take a Tour
Trakai is actually a lake resort which is also a historically important town. It’s close to Vilnius and a really nice day trip if you want to explore the areas around the city. The castle dates back to the 13th century and in addition to the castle, you’ll find that it’s also home to the Trakai Historical National Park, which was established in 1991. But there’s much more to it than that, like the island castle that serves as host to the Trakai Castle Festival. Bring your camera along as this entire town is surrounded by calm waters.
Place: Trakai 21142, Lithuania
Read suggestions: 11 Fascinating Things to Do in Slovenia During Your Trip to Europe
2. Devil’s Museum: Be a Braveheart
Located in Kansas, this museum has a vast collection of artwork that can give visitors a hint about the contents. You will find artworks that depict images of witches, devils as well as other mythological creatures. There are over 3,000 items here and you can also donate items to their collection. There are many works here and they include various materials such as textiles, ceramics and other objects such as pebbles, which also include images of the Devil.
Place: V. Putvinskio Str. 64, Kaunas 44211, Lithuania
3. St. Anne’s Church: A Must Visit
Located in Vilnius, St. Anne’s Church is certainly one of the most beautiful buildings in Lithuania. It is constructed with brick towers and beautiful pink windows. The spiers here date back to 1501 and were designed in the Gothic style. Inside the church you will find high ceilings with carved benches. Don’t miss the grand bell which is located along with the churches of St. Bernardin and St. Francis. Together these three form the larger Bernadine Priory.
Place: Maronio Str. 8, Vilnius 01124, Lithuania
Read suggestions: Summer in Lithuania: A Traveler’s Guide to Enjoying a Vibrant Summer Vacation!
The previous Lithuanian currency was the litas, but from January 1, 2015; It was replaced by the Euro. 1 Euro is equal to 80.91 Indian Rupees
There are different types of visas that will apply depending on the purpose of your visit to this country. But the general documents required for Lithuanian visa are:
- Download the online application form, fill it and provide correct details. Attach 2 passport format photographs to it.
- Bring your passport as well as copies of your previous visas, which must be valid for at least 3 months from your return date. Also make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages. There should also be a copy of the return ticket reservation.
- You will also need to have medical insurance of at least 30,000€ coverage for travel within the country of Lithuania as well as within the entire Schengen Area.
- Write a cover letter stating the purpose of your visit to the country along with the itinerary.
- Add hotel reservations for the duration of your stay in the country. Also, enter proof of civil status (if required)
- You will also need to provide proof of sufficient financial means for the duration of your stay in the country. Remember that any foreigner who wants to enter Lithuania must prove his authorization to the Lithuanian Consulate or Embassy for 40€/day.
what to pack
- For casual styles, T-shirts or camisoles as well as jeans are popular here. You can also wear dresses and other smart outfits for formal occasions. But Vilnius, being a cosmopolitan city, people always dress with style.
- The temperature here changes within a day and hence wearing layers or light woolen clothes will help you.
- Wear sunglasses even in winter because sunlight reflects off the white snow.
- If you are traveling during winter remember that November tends to be damp and cold with a lot of snowfall. But then come February and January which are really cold, so pack warm layers, gloves, coats and other such things. Pack shoes with soft water-resistant soles.
- The months of May, June, July, August, September and October are hot but there is a possibility of rain, so carry an umbrella and raincoat.
read ahead: Lithuania in winter: 10 best experiences you must have for a picture-perfect trip
These travel tips for Lithuania should have given you an idea of how to get around in this country, but overall, it is always recommended that you have fun and explore the city while respecting the local culture. Thus, if you are traveling to Europe in the near future, do visit this medieval country.
Are you looking to book an international holiday?
Book memorable holidays on Daily Hind News with 650+ verified travel agents for 65+ domestic and international destinations.