Teriyaki chicken is a popular Japanese dish that is loved by many people around the world. It is a flavorful and delicious dish that is easy to make at home. In this article, we will show you how to make teriyaki chicken in a few easy steps.
– 1 pound chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
– 1/2 cup soy sauce
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1/4 cup mirin (Japanese rice wine)
– 1 tablespoon sesame oil
– 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 2 tablespoons water
– vegetable oil for frying
– sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
1. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and set them aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, mirin, sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, and black pepper.
3. Pour the sauce over the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil.
6. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until it is browned and cooked through.
7. Add the cornstarch mixture to the skillet and stir well. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
8. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve over rice.
1. Can I use other types of meat for teriyaki?
– Yes, you can use beef, pork, or even tofu as a substitute for chicken.
2. Do I have to marinate the chicken?
– While marinating is recommended for flavor, you can still make teriyaki chicken without marinating it if you’re short of time.
3. What is mirin?
– Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine that adds a unique flavor to teriyaki sauces.
4. Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
– Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to a week.
5. Is teriyaki chicken healthy?
– While teriyaki chicken can be high in sodium and sugar, you can make it healthier by using low-sodium soy sauce and less honey in the sauce. Also, using skinless chicken breasts can cut down on the fat content of the dish.
Teriyaki chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that you can enjoy at home. With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can create a flavorful and satisfying meal. Whether you’re serving it over rice or alongside some stir-fried vegetables, teriyaki chicken is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.