Chili is a traditional dish that originated in the US-Mexico border. It is known for its aromatic spices and meaty flavor. Making chili is quite easy, but it requires patience and the right ingredients. In this article, we will discuss how to make chili in a few simple steps.
– 1 lb ground beef
– 1 large onion
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 2 tablespoons of chili powder
– 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 1 can of kidney beans
– 1 cup of beef broth
– Salt and pepper
1. Brown the beef: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and cook it until it is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat.
2. Add the onions and garlic: Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to the skillet and cook until they are soft and translucent.
3. Add the spices: Add the chili powder, cumin, and oregano to the skillet and stir well. Cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes until it is fragrant.
4. Add the diced tomatoes and beef broth: Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and beef broth and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
5. Add the beans: Add the can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained.
6. Simmer: Simmer the chili for around 20 minutes to let the flavors meld together. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve: Serve hot with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, or sour cream.
Q. Can I make chili with ground turkey instead of ground beef?
A. Yes, you can make chili with ground turkey instead of ground beef. Turkey is a leaner protein that is lower in fat and calories.
Q. How do I make chili less spicy?
A. If you find that your chili is too spicy, you can add more beef broth or water to dilute it. Adding a spoonful of sugar or honey can also help to reduce the heat.
Q. Can I make chili in a slow cooker?
A. Yes, you can make chili in a slow cooker. Follow the instructions for browning the beef and onions, then add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Q. Can I freeze leftover chili?
A. Yes, you can freeze leftover chili in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow the chili to cool completely before placing it in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat it, defrost the chili in the fridge overnight and reheat it on the stove or microwave.
Q. What should I serve with chili?
A. Chili is a complete meal, but you can serve it with sides such as cornbread, rice, salad, or tortilla chips.
In conclusion, chili is a hearty and flavorful dish that is easy to make at home. Follow the instructions above and adjust the seasonings to your liking. With a bowl of chili in hand, you’re sure to feel satisfied and warm on a chilly day.