Candied yams are the perfect way to bring a touch of sweetness to your meal, no matter what the occasion is. This delicious, comforting dish is often served during Thanksgiving and Christmas, but can be enjoyed any time of the year. It is easy to make, and the whole family will love it. With that said, if you have never made candied yams before, it can seem daunting. However, fear not! In this article, we will walk you through the process step by step, and answer some frequently asked questions about how to make candied yams.
– 4-5 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and sliced into rounds
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large pot, boil the sliced sweet potatoes for around 10 minutes or until they are soft and tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt over medium heat. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens and becomes syrupy.
4. Pour the syrup over the sweet potatoes, and mix well until all the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
5. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a greased baking dish, and spread them out evenly.
6. Bake the sweet potatoes for 30-35 minutes, or until they are bubbling and golden brown around the edges.
7. Once done, remove the candied yams from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes and then serve.
1. How do I choose the right yams or sweet potatoes for making candied yams?
When shopping for yams or sweet potatoes, look for ones that are firm and have smooth, unblemished skins. Avoid any sweet potatoes that are soft or have bruises as they may have gone bad. Also, choose ones that are similar in size as it will help with even cooking.
2. Can I use canned yams or sweet potatoes for making candied yams?
Yes, you can use canned yams or sweet potatoes, but they will not have the same texture as fresh ones. If using canned yams or sweet potatoes, skip the boiling step and simply drain and rinse the yams before coating them with the syrup.
3. Can I make candied yams ahead of time?
Yes, you can make candied yams ahead of time; however, keep in mind that reheating may result in the yams becoming too sweet. If you plan to make candied yams ahead of time, let them cool completely, cover them with foil, and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days. To reheat, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, uncover the dish and bake for around 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Can I make candied yams on the stovetop instead of the oven?
Yes, you can make candied yams on the stovetop. Instead of transferring the sweet potatoes to a baking dish, add the syrup-coated sweet potatoes back into the large pot you used to boil them. Cook them on low heat, covered, for around 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the yams are coated with the syrup and are heated through.
In conclusion, candied yams are an easy and delicious dish that you can enjoy any time of the year. Sweet, sticky and perfectly spiced, this dish is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. If you follow the instructions in this article, you’ll have a fantastic side dish in no time!