Buffalo wings are the perfect game-day snack, party food, or indulgent treat. These crispy, spicy, and flavorful chicken wings can give you an instant burst of flavor. They are a hot commodity in restaurants but did you know that you can easily make them at home? In this article, we’ll teach you how to make buffalo wings with tender and juicy meat coated in a spicy sauce that will surely satisfy any taste buds.
Ingredients you will need:
– 2 lbs chicken wings
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– ½ tsp salt
– ½ tsp black pepper
– ½ cup unsalted butter
– ½ cup hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot is a popular choice)
– ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
– ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
– Vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F. You’ll need to keep the cooked wings warm in the oven while you work on the remaining batches or during the cooling down period.
2. Rinse the chicken wings with cold water and pat them dry using paper towels.
3. Cut off the wing tips and separate the wings into the drumette and the flat. Discard the tips or reserve them for making chicken broth.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
5. Fill a deep pot or fryer with enough vegetable oil to submerge the chicken wings. Heat up the oil until it reaches 375°F.
6. Meanwhile, dip each chicken wing into the flour mixture, shake off the excess flour, and place it on a plate or tray.
7. Once the oil is hot, add a few chicken wings in the pot and fry them for 10-12 minutes until they turn golden brown and fully cooked.
8. Remove the cooked wings from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a wire rack or a tissue paper-lined plate to drain excess oil.
9. Repeat the process in batches until all the chicken wings are fried.
10. While the wings are cooking, melt the unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
11. Add the hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper (if using) into the melted butter and stir well.
12. Once the chicken wings are fried, transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
13. Pour the hot sauce mixture over the wings and toss them until they’re fully coated with the sauce.
14. Serve them hot with your favorite dip, celery sticks, and blue cheese dressing.
1. Can I bake the buffalo wings instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the wings in the oven at 400°F for 40-45 minutes for a healthier version of buffalo wings. However, the texture and crispiness might be different from the traditionally fried wings.
2. Can I make the buffalo sauce less spicy?
Absolutely! The level of spiciness is usually based on your preference. You can adjust the heat by reducing or omitting the cayenne pepper and adding more butter or sugar to tone down the spice.
3. Can I make the buffalo wings in advance?
Yes, you can. You can cook the wings in advance, let them cool down, and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes before serving and toss them in the sauce.
4. Can I use other types of hot sauce for buffalo wings?
Of course! Frank’s Red Hot is the most popular choice, but you can use other hot sauces such as Tabasco, Louisiana, or Sriracha.
5. What dipping sauce goes well with buffalo wings?
Blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing are classic dips that pair perfectly with buffalo wings. However, you can also experiment with other dips such as honey mustard, barbecue sauce, or garlic aioli.
With these easy-to-follow steps, you can whip up a batch of restaurant-quality buffalo wings in no time and satisfy your cravings. Whether you prefer them savory or spicy, buffalo wings make an excellent snack or appetizer that’s perfect for sharing with friends and family. With the bonus FAQs section, you can now face any doubts or queries related to buffalo wings and impress your guests at your next gathering. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the deliciousness.