Beef stroganoff is a classic Russian dish consisting of sautéed pieces of beef fillet in a rich and creamy sauce, typically served with egg noodles or rice. This hearty and flavorful dish is perfect for a cozy dinner at home or entertaining guests. If you’re a fan of comfort food, you won’t be disappointed with beef stroganoff.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to make beef stroganoff like a professional chef. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions about the dish.
– 1 pound of beef fillet
– 1 onion, diced
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
– 3 tablespoons of butter
– 2 tablespoons of flour
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 1 cup of sour cream
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Egg noodles or rice for serving
1. Cut the beef into thin strips and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.
3. Add the beef strips to the skillet and sauté until browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
5. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet and sauté the onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through.
7. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until everything is coated.
8. Slowly pour in the beef broth, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
9. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the sour cream.
10. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper as needed.
11. Return the beef to the skillet and stir to coat in the sauce.
12. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the beef is cooked through and the sauce is hot.
13. Serve the stroganoff over egg noodles or rice.
1. What cut of beef is best for stroganoff?
Beef fillet is the traditional cut for stroganoff, but you can also use sirloin, flank, or tenderloin. Just make sure to cut it into thin strips for even cooking.
2. Do I have to use sour cream?
Sour cream is a key ingredient in stroganoff and gives the sauce its signature tangy flavor. However, you can substitute it with plain Greek yogurt or heavy cream if you prefer or do not have sour cream.
3. Can I make stroganoff ahead of time?
Yes, you can make stroganoff ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. Just be sure to cool it down quickly and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently warm the stroganoff in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
4. What should I serve with stroganoff?
Egg noodles or rice are the classic accompaniments for stroganoff. You can also serve it with roasted vegetables or a side salad for a complete meal.
5. Can I freeze stroganoff?
Yes, you can freeze stroganoff for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag. To reheat, thaw the stroganoff overnight in the fridge, then gently warm it in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Beef stroganoff is a delicious and hearty dish that is easy to make at home. With a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking techniques, you can create a meal that will impress your family and friends. Give it a try and enjoy the flavorful, creamy goodness of beef stroganoff.