Salmon is a popular fish that is not only delicious but also healthy. It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for maintaining good heart health and brain function. There are many ways to cook salmon, but one of the easiest and most traditional methods is to pan-fry it. Pan-frying salmon is simple, and the technique only requires a few ingredients. Here’s how to cook salmon in a pan.
– 4 salmon fillets
– Salt and black pepper
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– Lemon juice
– Fresh parsley (optional)
1. Season the salmon: Before cooking the salmon, season it with salt and black pepper. Be sure to season both sides of the fillet, since this will help to enhance the flavor.
2. Heat the pan: Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Allow the pan to heat up for a few minutes, letting the oil get hot.
3. Add the fish: Place the salmon fillets in the pan, skin-side down. The skin will help protect the fish from the heat and keep it moist. Make sure you do not overcrowd the pan. If your pan is small, it’s better to cook the salmon in batches.
4. Cook the fish: Cook the salmon for about 3-4 minutes on each side. The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fillet. You will know the fish is done when the flesh is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Flip the fish over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. You can also check to see if it’s done by using a thermometer. The internal temperature should be around 145°F (63°C).
5. Add lemon juice and fresh parsley: Once the salmon fillets are done, drizzle them with a little bit of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle some chopped parsley on top to add both color and flavor.
6. Serve and enjoy: Remove the salmon from the heat and transfer it to a serving platter. Serve the salmon immediately, while it’s still hot.
1. Can I cook salmon without skin?
Yes, you can cook salmon without skin. In this case, you may want to pan-fry the fish with a little bit of butter instead of oil, to help keep it moist.
2. What is the best way to store leftover salmon?
You can store leftover salmon in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s best to wrap it in cling film or store it in an airtight container to help keep it fresh. If you want to reheat leftover salmon, you can do so in the oven or in a pan over low heat.
3. Can I use frozen salmon to cook in a pan?
Yes, you can use frozen salmon, but it’s best to thaw it first before cooking. Thaw it slowly in the fridge overnight, or place it in a bowl of cold water for a few hours before cooking.
4. What is the nutritional value of salmon?
Salmon is a nutritious fish that’s high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. It’s a good source of vitamin D, vitamin B12, selenium, and phosphorus. It’s also low in calories, making it an excellent food choice for anyone who is watching their weight.
5. What can I serve with pan-fried salmon?
There are many side dishes that go well with pan-fried salmon. You can serve it with steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus, or green beans, or with a side salad. You can also make a simple sauce or gravy using the pan drippings, lemon juice, and butter.