Lobster is a delectable and highly sought-after seafood delicacy that is enjoyed globally. It is a perfect choice for special occasions like weddings, anniversaries, and other formal events. However, cooking a lobster can be intimidating for many people. This article will provide the necessary steps on how to cook lobster.
Choosing the Perfect Lobster
Before you start cooking a lobster, it is crucial to choose the right type of lobster. There are two types of lobsters, the Maine lobster and the spiny or rock lobster. The Maine lobster is the most common type of lobster, and it has two main variations; soft-shelled lobster and hard-shelled lobster. The soft-shelled lobster is preferred for its sweet and tender meat, while the hard-shelled lobster has denser and firmer meat.
On the other hand, the spiny or rock lobster is primarily found in warm waters. They have a different texture and flavor compared to the Maine lobster. They have a hard shell, and their meat is firm, flavorful and dense.
Choosing the right lobster is a crucial step in the cooking process. Always try to get fresh lobsters from a reputable fish market or seafood store. Fresh lobsters will have a shiny and firm shell, and their tails will curl tightly.
Preparing the Lobster
Before you start cooking the lobster, you need to prepare it. Here are the steps for preparing the lobster:
1. Begin by removing the rubber bands from the claws of the lobster.
2. Lay the lobster on a cutting board and position it so that the head is pointing away from you.
3. Take a sharp knife and position it three inches behind the head of the lobster, then slice downwards through the head.
4. Place the lobster in a large bowl of salted water. This will remove any sand or debris from the inside of the lobster.
5. Once the impurities have been removed, remove the lobster from the water and brush off any excess debris.
Boiling a lobster is one of the most popular methods of cooking a lobster. Here are the steps for boiling a lobster:
1. Fill a large pot with cold water and add salt. Use enough water to cover the lobster.
2. Bring the salted water to a rolling boil.
3. Add the lobster to the pot, making sure that the claws are facing downwards and the tail is facing upwards.
4. Cover the pot and let the lobster boil for about 8-10 minutes.
5. Gently remove the lobster from the pot using tongs and place it on a plate to cool.
Steaming a lobster is another popular method of cooking a lobster. Here are the steps for steaming a lobster:
1. Pour 2-3 inches of water into a large pot and add salt.
2. Bring the salted water to a boil.
3. Add a steaming basket or a colander to the pot.
4. Place the lobster in the steaming basket or colander, making sure that the claws are facing downwards and the tail is facing upwards.
5. Cover the pot and let the lobster steam for 8-10 minutes.
6. Gently remove the lobster from the pot using tongs and place it on a plate to cool.
Grilling a lobster is a great way to add a smoky flavor to your lobster. Here are the steps for grilling a lobster:
1. Cut the lobster in half lengthwise, starting from the head to the tail.
2. Remove the green-colored tomalley, and clean the lobster.
3. Brush the lobster with olive oil or melted butter.
4. Place the lobster on the grill, making sure that the flesh side is facing down.
5. Grill the lobster for 8-10 minutes, turning it over once halfway through the cooking time.
6. Remove the lobster from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
1. How do you know when the lobster is cooked?
The lobster will turn bright red when it is cooked. You can also check if the meat is cooked properly by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 140°F.
2. How do you remove the lobster meat from the shell?
To remove the meat from the lobster, use a pair of kitchen shears to cut the shell lengthwise. Gently pull apart the shell and remove the meat. Use a fork to remove any meat that is stuck to the shell.
3. How do you store leftover lobster?
Store leftover lobster in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can also store it in the freezer for up to three months.
Learning how to cook lobster is not as daunting as it seems. The key is to use fresh lobsters and to properly prepare them before cooking. Boiling, steaming, and grilling are popular methods of cooking a lobster. With these steps, you can cook a delicious and succulent lobster that will impress your guests.