Ham steak is a popular cut of pork meat that is typically cut from the hind leg of a pig. It’s a lean, flavorful cut that can be cooked in a variety of ways and is a great addition to many meals.
In this article, we’ll explore how to cook ham steak and offer tips on how to achieve the perfect result every time. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions about cooking ham steak.
How to Cook Ham Steak
Ham steaks can be cooked in a variety of ways, including grilling, baking, broiling, and pan-frying. Let’s take a closer look at each method.
Grilling is a great option for cooking ham steak, especially during the summer months. Here’s how to do it:
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Brush the ham steak with a little olive oil or melted butter to prevent it from sticking to the grill.
3. Grill the ham steak for 3-4 minutes per side or until it’s heated through and has grill marks.
Baking is a simple and easy way to cook ham steak. Here’s how to do it:
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Place the ham steak in a baking dish.
3. Brush the ham steak with your choice of a glaze, such as honey mustard or brown sugar, or simply season it with salt and pepper.
4. Bake the ham steak for 15-20 minutes or until it’s heated through.
Broiling is a great way to get a crispy crust on your ham steak. Here’s how to do it:
1. Preheat your broiler to high.
2. Place the ham steak on a broiler pan.
3. Brush the ham steak with a little olive oil or melted butter.
4. Broil the ham steak for 3-4 minutes per side or until it’s heated through and has a crispy crust.
Pan-frying is a great option for cooking ham steak if you don’t have access to a grill or oven. Here’s how to do it:
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add a little oil or butter to the skillet.
3. Place the ham steak in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until it’s heated through and has a golden crust.
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Ham Steak
No matter which method you choose, there are a few tips you should keep in mind to ensure your ham steak turns out perfectly.
1. Check the internal temperature. Cook the ham steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
2. Add a glaze. A glaze adds flavor and moisture to the ham steak. You can use a store-bought glaze or make your own using ingredients like honey, mustard, brown sugar, and spices.
3. Let it rest. After cooking, let the ham steak rest for a few minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute, making the ham steak juicier and more flavorful.
Q: How long does it take to cook ham steak?
A: It takes about 3-4 minutes per side to cook ham steak on the grill or in a skillet. Baking or broiling the ham steak takes about 15-20 minutes.
Q: Can I freeze ham steak?
A: Yes, you can freeze ham steak for up to 6 months. Wrap it tightly in freezer-safe packaging to prevent freezer burn.
Q: Is ham steak already cooked?
A: Ham steak is usually precooked, but you should still cook it until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
Q: Can ham steak be reheated?
A: Yes, you can reheat ham steak in the oven, microwave, or on the stove. Reheat it until it’s heated through and reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
Cooking ham steak is easy and versatile. It can be grilled, baked, broiled, or pan-fried with a variety of different glazes and seasonings. Remember to check the internal temperature, add a glaze or seasoning, and let the ham steak rest before slicing. Freeze any leftovers and use them later for sandwiches or soups. Happy cooking!