Camembert is a popular French cheese that is known for its soft, gooey texture and creamy flavor. This cheese is often used in cooking as an ingredient in various recipes. In this article, we will walk you through the process of cooking Camembert so that you can enjoy this delicious cheese in your own home.
Before we dive into the specifics of cooking Camembert, let’s discuss a few things about the cheese itself. Camembert is made from cow’s milk and has a thin, edible rind. The cheese should be stored in the refrigerator and allowed to come to room temperature before cooking. The cheese should also be ripe but not overly ripe when cooking. Overly ripe Camembert can have a strong odor and flavor that may not be appealing.
Now that we have covered some basic information about Camembert, let’s move on to the cooking process.
How to Cook Camembert
There are several ways to cook Camembert, including baking, grilling, and frying. We will discuss the most popular method of cooking Camembert: baking.
Baked Camembert is a delicious appetizer that is easy to prepare. Here’s how to do it:
1 whole Camembert cheese
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon of olive oil
French baguette or crackers for dipping
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Remove the Camembert cheese from its packaging and discard any stickers or papers that may be attached to it.
3. Slice a small garlic clove and push the slices into the cheese, making sure they are evenly distributed. This will add a nice garlic flavor to the cheese.
4. Place the cheese in a small oven-proof dish that is just slightly larger than the cheese. This will help the cheese stay together as it cooks.
5. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the cheese and sprinkle a few sprigs of fresh rosemary on top.
6. Bake the cheese in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until it is soft and gooey but not completely melted.
7. Remove the cheese from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
8. Serve the baked Camembert with slices of French baguette or crackers for dipping.
1. Can you eat the rind of Camembert cheese?
Yes, you can eat the rind of Camembert cheese. The rind is edible and adds a slightly nutty flavor to the cheese.
2. How long does Camembert cheese last?
Camembert cheese can last up to a week in the refrigerator when stored properly. It should be wrapped in parchment paper or wax paper and stored in a sealed container.
3. Can Camembert cheese be frozen?
No, Camembert cheese should not be frozen. Freezing can change the texture and flavor of the cheese.
4. What can I serve with baked Camembert?
Baked Camembert is delicious served with slices of French baguette or crackers for dipping. You can also serve it with fresh fruit, like apples or pears, and a selection of nuts.
5. Can I cook Camembert in the microwave?
While it is possible to cook Camembert in the microwave, we do not recommend it. Cooking Camembert in the microwave can cause the cheese to become too hot and may change the texture and flavor of the cheese.
Cooking Camembert is easy and delicious. Baked Camembert makes a great appetizer for any occasion and can be served with a variety of accompaniments. With the proper storage and preparation, you can enjoy the creamy, gooey goodness of Camembert in your own home.