Hearty Beef Casserole: Perfectly Cooked in Slow Cooker
There is nothing quite like a hearty beef casserole to warm you up on cold winter evenings. This dish combines tender beef, vegetables, and flavorful spices to make a nutritious and delicious meal that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. The best part? It is super easy to make in a slow cooker, which means you can whip up a big batch and have leftovers for days!
Beef is a great source of protein, iron, and other essential nutrients. It is also rich in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been shown to help reduce inflammation, boost immune function, and improve body composition. Adding vegetables to the casserole increases the fiber and nutrient content, making it a well-rounded meal that promotes overall health and wellbeing.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about making hearty beef casserole in a slow cooker:
1. What kind of beef should I use?
For this recipe, you can use either stew meat or chuck roast. Both are great options, but stew meat tends to cook faster and is a bit easier to cut up.
2. Do I need to brown the beef before adding it to the slow cooker?
While browning the beef can add some extra flavor, it is not a necessary step. If you are short on time or simply want to minimize the number of dishes you need to wash, you can skip this step and still have a delicious casserole.
3. Can I use frozen vegetables?
Yes, you can use frozen vegetables in this recipe. Just be aware that they may release more liquid as they cook, which could affect the texture of the casserole.
4. How long does it take to cook in a slow cooker?
This recipe takes about 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low, depending on your slow cooker. You can check the doneness of the beef by using a meat thermometer – it should register at least 145°F for rare meat and 160°F for well-done.
– 2 lbs of beef stew meat or chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
– 1 tsp of paprika
– 1 tsp of dried oregano
– 1 tsp of dried basil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 3 Tbsp of corn starch
– 3 Tbsp of water
1. In a large slow cooker, combine the beef, onion, garlic, beef broth, diced tomatoes, frozen vegetables, paprika, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
2. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water until smooth.
4. About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the corn starch mixture to thicken the sauce. Cover and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
5. Serve the beef casserole hot over rice or mashed potatoes, garnished with fresh herbs if desired.
Hearty beef casserole is a classic comfort food that never goes out of style. Its rich, savory flavor and tender beef will make the whole family happy, and the fact that it can be made in a slow cooker makes it an easy weeknight dinner option. Try this recipe today and enjoy a warm and satisfying meal that is healthy and delicious!