Easy and Delicious Snowball Cookie Recipe to Wow Your Guests
Snowball cookies, also known as Russian tea cakes or Mexican wedding cookies, are a favorite treat during the holiday season. These bite-sized treats are incredibly popular due to their delicate texture and rich buttery flavor. Not only are they a crowd-pleaser, but they are also remarkably simple to make. In this article, we will share an easy and delicious snowball cookie recipe that will surely impress your guests. We will also delve into the health benefits of these cookies and answer some frequently asked questions.
– 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
– ½ cup powdered sugar, plus more for rolling
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 1 cup finely chopped nuts (such as pecans or walnuts)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
3. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Gradually add the flour and salt, mixing until just combined.
5. Stir in the chopped nuts until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
6. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving a small space between each cookie.
7. Bake the cookies for about 12-15 minutes or until they are lightly golden brown.
8. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes.
9. While still warm, roll the cookies in powdered sugar until fully coated. Place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Once cooled, roll the cookies in powdered sugar once more, ensuring they are generously coated.
While snowball cookies can be indulgent treats, they also offer some surprising health benefits.
1. Nutritional Value: These cookies contain a good amount of nuts, which are rich in heart-healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Nuts are also a great source of protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Additionally, they provide an excellent energy boost, making them a perfect snack during the winter months.
2. Antioxidant-Rich: The mix of nuts and powdered sugar in snowball cookies contributes to their antioxidant content. Antioxidants help fight oxidative stress in the body and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
3. Mental Well-being: Snowball cookies can also have a positive impact on your mood. The combination of butter and sugar can provide a temporary increase in serotonin levels, which promotes feelings of happiness and relaxation.
1. Can I use a different type of nut in the recipe?
Absolutely! The recipe calls for chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, but feel free to experiment with other nut varieties like almonds or hazelnuts. Just ensure they are finely chopped for an even distribution throughout the cookies.
2. Can I make these cookies ahead of time?
Yes, snowball cookies can be made in advance. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. If desired, you can also freeze the cookies for longer storage. Just make sure to thaw them at room temperature before serving.
3. Can I use gluten-free flour instead?
Certainly! If you have dietary restrictions or prefer a gluten-free option, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. The cookies may have a slightly different texture, but they will still be delicious.
There you have it – an easy and delicious snowball cookie recipe that will wow your guests. These delightful treats not only taste amazing but also offer some surprising health benefits. The combination of butter, sugar, and nuts creates a delightful texture and flavor that makes snowball cookies a favorite during the holiday season. So, go ahead and make these delectable cookies to enjoy and share with your loved ones this winter.