Latest updates: Pfizer vaccine 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the India variant after second dose, AstraZeneca jab 60% effective
- Pfizer and AstraZeneca ‘highly effective’ against India Covid variant
- Ministers ‘failed to act on Bedford Covid variant surge for two weeks’
- CDC studying reports of heart inflammation in young vaccine recipients
- No 10 ‘tried to block’ data on spread of new variant in English schools
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Family doctors in the UK are being forced out of their jobs after developing long Covid, prompting demands for the government to compensate NHS staff with the debilitating condition who cannot work.
GPs struggling with the condition have said they felt “shocked and betrayed” when their colleagues removed them from their posts because of prolonged sick leave.
Related: GPs stricken by long Covid ‘shocked and betrayed’ at being forced from jobs
In Taiwan, the country’s health minister has promised to resolve a logjam with reporting positive Covid tests after abruptly raising case numbers, a move that prompted criticisms from opposition politicians.
Reuters has the story:
Taiwan is dealing with a spike in cases after months of keeping the pandemic well under control, with restrictions in place across the island to limit gatherings.
On Saturday and Sunday, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung announced a total of 570 new cases whose positive tests had not been included in previous reports due to reporting delays following the surge in cases.