Everything you need to know about the “Cobra Kai” animated series, available on Netlix, which follows the “Karate Kid” trilogy of films.
Almost forty years later Karate Kidthe story continues with the series Cobra-Kai, whose fifth season has just arrived on Netflix. Yesterday’s Enemies Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) continue their rivalry through the students of their respective dojos: Miyagi-do and Cobra Kai.
Do you also want to introduce the new generation to the joys of karate, and watch the new adventures of Karate Kids with your children? Here is everything you need to know about the Cobra Kai series, before considering a family viewing!
What is it about ?
A sequel to “The Karate Kid” set in the present day, more than three decades after the events of the film. Johnny, who seeks redemption, reopens the Cobra Kai dojo and reignites his rivalry with Daniel. The two men will be confronted with the demons of the past and the frustrations of the present.
From what age to watch this series?
The editorial staff of AlloCiné recommends this program from the age of 10, but with warning due to the use of sometimes foul language, scenes of fights and school bullying, and the repeated consumption of alcohol on screen.
Why will teens love it?
- Action scenes galore, which will make them want to pass their yellow belt!
- The codes of series for teenagers, to strengthen identification with the characters.
- You don’t need to have seen the movies to enjoy the series.
Who are the main characters ?
- Daniel LaRusso: The hero of the Karate Kid trilogy; heir to the Miyagi style, named after his former master, Daniel has nevertheless swapped the kimono to put on the suit of a businessman, at the head of a car dealership company with flourishing turnover.
- Johnny Lawrence: Never completely recovered from his defeat against LaRusso at the end of Karate Kid, the former bad boy leads a marginal life, with a certain fondness for the bottle. His meeting with Miguel will rekindle the flame of karate in him!
- Miguel Diaz: Saved by Johnny Lawrence from the attack of a band, Miguel embarks on learning martial arts, seduced by the offensive philosophy advocated by his Cobra Kai dojo!
- Samantha LaRusso: Daniel LaRusso’s daughter inherited her passion for karate, but also the more volcanic and assertive character of her mother.
- Robbie Keene: Raised by his mother, Robbie maintains conflicting relations with his father Johnny Lawrence, accusing him in particular of not having raised him. His mastery of karate will allow him to get closer to his parent… but also to settle accounts with him!
The anecdote that will amaze your teenager!
- Spider-Man is a fan of the series! The actor Andrew Garfield, who has camped the Spider-Man on several occasions in the cinema, has revealed to be a huge fan of the film Karate Kid, but also of Cobra Kai. In a promotional video, the latter even burst into tears when he discovered a message recorded by his two idols: Ralph Macchio (Daniel) and William Zabka (Johnny).
- The former NBA star and martial artist Kareem Abdul Jabbar estimated in an essay published in an American newspaper that his former master Bruce Lee would have appreciated the philosophical values advocated by the series!
Where to see this series and how much will it cost you?
The series is available on Netflix (from €8.99 per month).
What can you watch next with your teen?
- The trilogy Karate Kidto discover the origins of the story of the series
- Karate Kidthe remake of the film with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan
- Kung Fu Pandathe animated saga about the adventures of a martial arts panda.