In today’s time where most of us spend our time indoors, binge-watching TV shows and movies is one of the most popular pastimes. Netflix, the world’s leading streaming platform, has an extensive library of films and TV series to cater to everyone’s moods and preferences. From comedy, drama, and thriller to documentaries and more, the selection of binge-worthy content on Netflix is overwhelming. In this article, we will give you our top picks of shows and movies worth binge-watching on Netflix and some tips and tricks on how to make the most of your binge-watching sessions.
Top Binge-Worthy Picks on Netflix:
1. The Queen’s Gambit: Based on Walter Trevis’ novel of the same name, The Queen’s Gambit is a limited series exploring the life of an orphan, Beth Harmon, who is prodigiously gifted at the game of chess. The series takes us through her journey from being a struggling chess player to eventually becoming a world champion. With its compelling storyline, brilliant performance by Anya Taylor-Joy, and its beautiful period setting, The Queen’s Gambit has become one of the most talked-about Netflix series.
2. Breaking Bad: Created by Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad is a crime drama that follows Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with cancer, as he teams up with his former student Jesse Pinkman to make and sell crystal meth. Hailed as one of the greatest TV shows of all time, Breaking Bad has a fan base that is still passionate about the show, even after its finale in 2013.
3. Stranger Things: Created by the Duffer Brothers, Stranger Things is a science-fiction horror show set in the 1980s, following a group of kids who uncover supernatural mysteries surrounding their small town. With its excellent cast, nostalgic setting, and a gripping storyline, Stranger Things appeals to both adults and younger audiences.
4. Roma: Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, Roma is a semi-autobiographical film set in the early 1970s in Mexico City. The film follows Cleo, a maid in a middle-class family, as she navigates her job and personal life amidst the social and political unrest in the country. With stunning cinematography, touching storyline, and excellent performances by its cast, Roma has become one of the best films of the decade.
5. Mindhunter: Created by Joe Penhall and executive produced by David Fincher, Mindhunter is a crime drama based on the true-crime book Mindhunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit. The series follows two FBI agents and a psychologist as they interview imprisoned serial killers to gain insight into their psyche and behavior to solve ongoing cases. With its strong writing, excellent performances, and intrigue, Mindhunter is an intelligent and chilling series.
6. Black Mirror: Created by Charlie Brooker, Black Mirror is a science-fiction anthology series exploring the consequences of technology on society in the near future. Each episode has a different cast, setting, and storyline, making it a refreshing watch each time. With its dark and thought-provoking themes, Black Mirror gets under your skin and forces you to question the world we live in.
7. Bojack Horseman: Created by Raphael Bob-Waksberg, Bojack Horseman is an adult animated series that follows a washed-up sitcom star and his anthropomorphic animal friends in Hollywood. Although the show is marketed as a comedy, it deals with heavy themes of depression, addiction, loneliness, and existential crisis. With its unique animation style, excellent writing, and strong performances by its cast, Bojack Horseman is a show that will make you laugh and cry.
8. Marriage Story: Directed by Noah Baumbach, Marriage Story is a drama film exploring the disintegration of a marriage between a theatre director and his actress wife. With brilliant performances by Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story is a poignant and heartfelt film that has become one of the best of the decade.
9. The Witcher: Based on the popular book series of the same name by Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher is a fantasy series following a monster hunter, Geralt of Rivia, as he navigates a world of political and magical intrigue. With its excellent cast, stunning visuals, and gripping storyline, The Witcher has become one of the most popular Netflix series.
10. The Irishman: Directed by Martin Scorsese, The Irishman is a crime drama film exploring the life of a hitman and his involvement with the Bufalino crime family. With remarkable performances by its stellar cast including Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci, The Irishman is a classic cinematic masterpiece.
Tips and Tricks for Successful Binge-Watching:
1. Plan Your Binge: With the plethora of content available on Netflix, it’s easy to get lost in the choices and waste time scrolling endlessly. Plan which show or movie you want to watch beforehand and create a schedule that works for you. This way, you can avoid decision fatigue and get the most out of your binge-watching sessions.
2. Take Breaks: Binge-watching for long hours can be detrimental to your health and lead to eye strain, headaches, and fatigue. Take frequent breaks, stretch, and move around to keep your body and mind active.
3. Watch with Friends: Watching a show or movie solo can be fun, but it’s even better with friends. Use Netflix Party, a browser extension where you can chat with friends and sync your screens so you can watch together.
4. Engage in Social Media: Social media has become a hub for fans to discuss their favorite shows and movies. Join fan groups, post your reactions and theories, and engage in conversations with other viewers to enhance your viewing experience.
5. Use Ratings and Reviews: Use the ratings and reviews section on Netflix to get an idea of the show or movie’s quality and whether it’s worth your time.
FAQs about Binge-Watching:
Q. Is binge-watching bad for you?
A. Binge-watching for long periods can have adverse effects on physical and mental health. It’s essential to take breaks, engage in physical activity, and monitor your screen time.
Q. Which show has the most binge-watched hours on Netflix?
A. According to a survey conducted by TV Time, Friends, The Office, and Grey’s Anatomy are the top three most binge-watched shows on Netflix.
Q. Is Netflix the only streaming platform worth using?
A. No, other streaming platforms like Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Disney+ have their unique content and appeal. It’s essential to explore different platforms to have a variety of shows and movies to watch.
Q. Why do we binge-watch?
A. Binge-watching provides an escape from reality for some, helps reduce stress and anxiety for others, and satisfies our need for instant gratification. It’s a personal preference and depends on the individual’s reasons.
In conclusion, Netflix has an overwhelming selection of shows and movies that cater to everyone’s tastes and preferences. From classic cinematic masterpieces to compelling original content, there is an abundant selection for those who want to binge-watch. By using our tips and tricks, taking breaks, and engaging in social media, you can enhance your viewing experience. Remember, binge-watching can be fun and relaxing, but it’s important to monitor your screen time and take care of your physical and mental health.