13. Her first major role on the big screen came in the 1995 drama My family, realized by Gregory Nava. Although she was not credited for her portrayal of young Maria, she did receive an Independent Spirit Award nomination for Best Female Support anyway. She lost against Mare Winningham.
14. In 1997, she landed the role of a lifetime, playing the late singer Tejano. Selena quintanilla in Selena. Although she worked with Nava, who directed the film, she still went through an intense audition process. Her salary for the film was $ 1 million, making her the highest-paid Hispanic actress in history at the time.
15. Filming the concert scenes for the film made her want to pursue a recording career. “When I did Selena it all came back, having that interaction with the fans and the audience, which you don’t get in the movies,” she told the Los Angeles Times in 1999. “I missed it a lot. I missed the excitement of the stage I had at the start of my career with musical theater.”
16. On February 22, 1997, she married her husband # 1, Cuban waiter Ojani Noa. They were married for less than a year.
17. Despite their brief union, he remained a thorn in her side for years, forcing her to sue him in 2006 to prevent him from publishing a book about their marriage, arguing that it violated their confidentiality agreement. The following year, a court-appointed arbitrator issued a permanent injunction prohibiting him from “criticizing, denigrating, looking negatively or otherwise” his ex-wife.