In the era of streaming, we are blessed with plenty of options to choose from when it comes to movies. With Amazon Prime being one of the most popular subscription services, we have access to some of the latest and greatest movies as well as timeless classics. Here are 10 must-see movies streaming now on Amazon Prime:
1. Parasite (2019): This South Korean film directed by Bong Joon-ho won four Academy Awards, including Best Picture, making history as the first foreign-language film to do so. Parasite follows a poor family who try to infiltrate the lives of a wealthy family. However, things take a dark turn as the hidden secrets of both families are unraveled. Parasite is a thought-provoking and thrilling masterpiece that captivates audiences from start to finish.
2. Manchester By The Sea (2016): This drama film, directed by Kenneth Lonergan, tells the story of Lee Chandler, a man struggling with the tragic loss of his brother and the responsibility of caring for his teenage nephew. Manchester By The Sea is a gut-wrenching portrayal of grief and the journey to find a way to move forward.
3. The Big Sick (2017): Based on the real-life story of the film’s co-writers, Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, The Big Sick is a romantic comedy that delves into the cultural divide between the two lead characters. When Emily falls into a medically-induced coma, Kumail has to deal with her disapproving parents while also confronting his own family’s expectations. The Big Sick is both heartwarming and hilarious.
4. Sound of Metal (2019): Sound of Metal is an intense and emotionally charged film about a heavy metal drummer, Ruben, who begins to lose his hearing. As he struggles to come to terms with his new reality, Ruben has to learn to adapt to his hearing loss and find a new sense of purpose. Riz Ahmed delivers a stunning performance in this film that explores themes of loss, identity, and acceptance.
5. Knives Out (2019): A modern-day whodunit, Knives Out is a clever and entertaining mystery directed by Rian Johnson. The film centers around the Thrombey family, all of whom become suspects when the wealthy patriarch is found dead. With a star-studded cast and a fun plot, Knives Out is a must-watch film for fans of the genre.
6. Lady Bird (2017): This coming-of-age comedy-drama, directed by Greta Gerwig, tells the story of a teenage girl, Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson, and her turbulent relationship with her mother. Lady Bird is a funny, heartfelt, and realistic portrayal of adolescence and the complexities of family dynamics.
7. Arrival (2016): Arrival is a science fiction film that tells the story of a linguistics professor, Louise Banks, who is recruited by the U.S. military to communicate with extraterrestrial beings who have arrived on Earth. As she tries to decipher their language, Louise discovers a deep connection between them and humanity. Arrival is a thought-provoking film that explores themes of communication, time, and the universality of human experiences.
8. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013): Directed by the Coen brothers, Inside Llewyn Davis is a melancholy and poignant film about a struggling folk singer in the 1960s. Davis, played by Oscar Isaac, is a flawed and relatable character, and the film is a beautiful tribute to the power of music and the realities of artistic ambition.
9. Moonlight (2016): Moonlight is a coming-of-age drama that tells the story of Chiron, an African American boy growing up in Miami. The film explores themes of identity, masculinity, and sexuality through the three different stages of Chiron’s life. With stunning performances and beautiful cinematography, Moonlight is a powerful and moving film that deserves all of its accolades.
10. The Farewell (2019): Written and directed by Lulu Wang, The Farewell stars Awkwafina as Billi, a Chinese-American woman who returns to China to visit her grandmother who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. However, the family decides to keep the diagnosis a secret from the grandmother, leading to a series of emotional and comedic moments. The Farewell is a heartfelt and poignant film that explores themes of family, identity, and cultural differences.
Q: Are these movies only available on Amazon Prime in the U.S.?
A: Availability may vary depending on your location. However, most of the movies mentioned in this article are available on Amazon Prime in several countries.
Q: Do I need to pay extra to watch these movies on Amazon Prime?
A: No, these movies are included in the Amazon Prime subscription.
Q: Are there any parental advisories for these movies?
A: Some of the movies may contain adult themes, language, and/or violence. It’s always a good idea to check the rating and parental advisory information before watching.
Best Practices, Tips and Tricks:
1. Make use of Amazon Prime’s watchlist feature to save movies you want to watch later.
2. Take advantage of Amazon Prime’s recommendation algorithm to discover new movies based on your watch history.
3. Use Amazon Prime’s search function to find specific movies or genres.
4. Check out Amazon Prime’s “Amazon Original” movies and shows for exclusive content.
5. Don’t forget to check the rating and parental advisory information before watching a movie, especially if you have children watching with you.
Overall, Amazon Prime offers a vast selection of movies to choose from, and these 10 must-see movies are some of the best the platform has to offer. Whether you’re in the mood for a romantic comedy or a thought-provoking drama, there’s something for everyone on Amazon Prime. So, grab some popcorn and get ready for a great movie night.